If you accept a home with us you will need to pay rent as soon as you get the keys to your new home. This means that you will need to pay one month’s rent in advance.

You may be able to get help with this by applying for one of the following:

  •  Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP):

If you are eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit then you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to assist with the rent in advance payment.

Discretionary Housing Payments are administered by the Local Authority (council) and most councils have an online application form. 

For more information contact your local council or search for Discretionary Housing Payments on your local council website.

  •  Budgeting Advance:

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you can apply for a Budgeting Advance which is an interest free loan. To apply, please call 0800 328 5644 or if you have an online account for Universal Credit, you can apply online using the apply for an advance option. 

  •  Budgeting Loan

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance or Pension you can apply to the DWP for a Budgeting Loan, which is an interest free loan.

For more information go to www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits/how-to-apply

If you need help with this and are currently a tenant of one of our homes at Wheatley Homes South, Cunninghame Housing Association, Home Group or Riverside Scotland, then please contact your landlord via the details below to ask for an appointment with the Welfare Benefits Advisor. 

  • Wheatley Homes South - 0800 011 3447 
  • Cunninghame Housing Association - 01294 468 360
  • Home Group - 0345 141 4663
  • Riverside Scotland - 0345 112 6600

If you are not currently a tenant with us, you should contact Citizens Advice or your local council's Welfare Benefits Team.